Tuesday, July 11, 2006

In the Dust of My Rabbi


Where'd the lights go?

I was just thinking about how I wish I could simply be reborn, and I know that as a Christian, I have been - but I wish my notions of life and living could simply be wiped away. Race would be a foreign word, lies would be defined only by those past judgements I passed on people, love would be the only thing I'd understand. I'd do all I could to comfort the crying and warm the cold - I wouldn't understand complacency. Turning a deaf ear would be inconceivable. The only semblance of an ego I'd hold would be the shadow following my steps. I wouldn't wear these damn jeans.

Where'd the water flow?

I'd never want more than I needed - what would I do with all that extra baggage? What about those souls dying in their clothes wishing at most to make it through the cold night? Their dirty fingernails scraping up money to buy whatever they trust to make them survive - bread, cigarettes, fruit, liquor, coffee. Teeth falling out - unable to speak a word, they just shake their hands and rattle their cups.

When did the dust of the Rabbi get blown away in the wind of this life?

I'd curse gold - deny the richest jewels. I'd understand the sinkhole of lust, the torturous river of envy, the drizzle of complacency - I'd show contempt for every bit of evil working to rob me of my birthright. I'd fight beyond death for my Father's honor and name.

When did mirrors become so important?

I'd be naked and free - I would have no figure, no self to glorify, no canvas upon which I'd paint the virtue of the week. There would be no billboard to advertise my interests, no commercials for what I previously thought important.

The light ahead would simply cause a shadow to fall softly behind my bare feet as I walked in the dust of my Rabbi.

1 comment:

Jake Freedom said...

Scrunt - count me in. If god is good and truth is good, then god is truth. Your post is true - which makes it the face of god.