Sunday, March 25, 2007

I just spent

the entire day reading Virginia Woolf's "Mrs. Dalloway," which, I discovered, is a complete abomination of a book. Utterly terrible - not the least bit engaging. A few paragraphs were well-written - I did my share of underlining bits I enjoyed, sketching a star here and there, an exclamation point on occasion. However, it felt as if I had listened (and actually paid attention) to an entire album and only enjoyed a couple verses. No redeeming melodies or choruses, just the occasional turn of phrase that jumped out at me.

The story begins with a whimper, continues like a prolonged, sickly wheeze, and finally fades out into a little more than nothing (for at least "nothing" in and of itself is an end; "Mrs. Dalloway" can barely claim to possess such.)

I know it's highly pretentious of a young writer to criticize one of the most highly regarded authors, but someone's gotta do it - I mean, she did suffer from bouts of mental illness. "Mrs. Dalloway," I suspect, was a manifestation of said illness - a manifestation the world could do without and I sure as Hell could do without writing a paper about.

14 comments:

Jake Freedom said...

Most "good" books actually suck.

And by the way I think you CAN judge a book by its cover.

I do.

Anonymous said...

Dude, us guys in the C-bot crew had to read this turd in senior english. It was such an abhorrent blowhard that Kyle and I deemed it "Ms. Dallogay."


Not a fan.

love from the screets,
k

Anonymous said...

Sal-

Virginia never left her house. She woke up in an apartment with dying relatives who never croaked and there she stayed until finishing 20 some odd crummy "stories." We should host a "Virginia Woolf Book Burning" party behind the apt. We could read Tom Robbins and laugh at the witch while she burns. Email me- pjm02@uark.edu

-Dean

Anonymous said...

Here here! Woolf is probably the worst writer to come out of the UK. Well, I'm sure that's not true but I'm pretty sure her only audience is feminists and sexists.

D.M.

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

Dupa Jasia said...

.. .. ...

Dupa Jasia said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

Dupa Jasia said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...

bleeeeeeeeeeeeeee said...

.. .. ...