Thursday, May 18, 2006

After a New York Sunset

I'm beyond exhausted - traveling, job-hunting, and smoking will do strange things to a body.

I just watched the sun set from the roof of Hunter's apartment, which I will be living in for the next three months. Despite bruised shoulders from lugging my duffle bag across the City yesterday and weary feet from searching to and fro for a job, the pinks and oranges and grayish blues of the setting sun behind the Manhattan skyline blew my heart to pieces in every direction and I couldn't stop moving.

I guess I just realized that this is now my home.

I'm wondering how to begin making friends, but it seems one can never plan things like that - I guess friends will have to start making me or I'll be doing a lot of reading this summer. Not that I don't like reading, it's just that I'd rather laugh.

I'm sleeping on the floor next to Hunter's bed for the summer and this morning he dropped his cell phone on my face while I slept. Despite the early hour, I laughed just thinking about such close quarters.

During my search for a job today I found myself on the Metro quite a bit, mostly going in the wrong direction or just wandering around the station trying to establish my whereabouts. I did, however, manage to have my wait for one particular train serenaded by a baritone saxophonist, blowing the weariest notes of blue and gray I've ever heard. It was especially romantic in the dreary New York City sense as his back up band was the roar of the subway, a thousand different languages, and up-tempo footsteps going God knows where.


No comments: