Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Of These Things I Repent

"Oh I am wrong, and of these things I repent"
Derek Webb

Everytime I listen to Derek Webb's "The House Show" it sets me straight. If just for a few minutes, I feel like I understand a couple of things - any other time and I'm wandering around in the dark. I agree with and wish alongside Webb to have my sins broadcast on the 5 o'clock news - what would we, as followers of Christ, do if every other person on Earth knew our most terrible and shameful sins? We would have absolutely nowhere to turn but to Christ - God, sometimes I wish I could be turned inside out for all to see. I'll try with a few things.

I spend too much money on thrift/vintage clothing and then ask my Dad to loan me money till my next paycheck.

I cuss too much (I said GD the other day, I believe for the first time in my life - I felt like a stranger to myself.)

I gossip.

I am a proficient hypocrite. I define the word.

If someone doesn't like me, I feel like less of a man.

I still think my plan is the right one.

I will probably laugh at a dirty joke today.

I am selfish.

I feel like if I were to call myself a follower of Christ, I would be giving myself too much credit. I'm more of a little kid who tags along and gets easily distracted, always having to run to catch up. I guess the important thing is that I know without a doubt who the leader is.

No comments: